Our History

The seed of the St. Paul’s Lutheran Church was sown in the early part of 1887, when a small group of members of Trinity Lutheran Church conceived the idea of a new congregation in the then growing east side of our city. On July 10, 1887, the first formal meeting was held at the home of Mr. E.C. Meyer with Rev. George Bachmann, pastor of Emanuel Lutheran Church, acting as chairman.

On June 3, 1906 a building committee as established. Members voted to proceed with the plans for a new edifice. In May 5, 1907, the building was begun with a contract price of $21,673.00. This is the building which we are still using today.

The date of dedication of the new church was on February 23, 1908. Three services were held, two morning services in German and an afternoon service in English. A photo of the sanctuary from that date is shown below.

Realizing the need for a social and recreational center, the congregation, on June 3, 1926, resolved to build a parish hall. The hall was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day of that same year. The cost was $17,930.00. Since that time the parish hall has been remodeled to accomodate Evansville Lutheran School. The first floor is the school media center and computer lab, and the second floor is used for music and art classes.